Fall isn’t just the time to change the smoke alarms inside a home. It’s also a good time to prepare a home for winter and the wet season for Caldwell, ID. A large number of house problems that can cause serious damage can be avoided with some simple precautions. According to All About Insurance Inc., here’s how:
- Rake up and clear out all debris and dead leaves in and around the house. Dead leaves can easily catch fire when dry and create a fire hazard for a home.
- Clean out the roof gutters from any big debris. Plug up gutters tend to fill with water and then tear off the roof with the unexpected weight. The sitting water can also cause wood rot underneath the roof.
- Clean out all drainspouts and channel falling water away from the foundation. Water can be a powerful force in eroding soil and stone, damaging a home’s base.
- Check and repair the backyard fence for old, weak sections. Strong storms make mincemeat of old wood fences, blowing down huge sections when a weak part fails.
- Confirm the yard and backyard drainage are working properly. This will avoid a sudden lake next to the house during heavy rains.
- Check and replace the home ladder before using it. Ladder falls are the number one cause of a broken leg for people over 40 during the holidays.
- Clean out and service the fireplace. Gunked up chimneys can trap hotspots and contribute to home fires at night.
- Check the HVAC channels for leaks in the attic and patch them. A channel leak can lose hundreds of dollars in heating each month.
For more tips and advice on how to prevent damage common during the winter, folks in the Caldwell, ID area can give All About Insurance Inc. a call. Their expert agents have seen all types of winter home risks and know how simple prevention can make a big difference between a disaster and enjoying the holidays.